General Commission for Scientific Agricultural Research-
Ghab Research Center
Faculty of agriculture, University of Al-Ba’ath,
The research was carried out at soil physics-chemistry lab of the Ghab Research Center and labs of Department of Soil and Land Reclamation of Faculty of Agriculture in the Al-Ba’ath University during the period (2008 – 2009) to study: (i) the influence the time in decreasing of concentration of the sodium in natural Zeolite, and its effect in pH and EC, by adding several concentrations of ammonium sulfate, or potassium sulfate, or ammonium and potassium sulfate together; (ii) the influence using of different temperatures in the cation exchange capacity of natural Zeolite; and (iii) the influence of temperature, pressure, and humidity in the cation exchange capacity of natural zolite, and provided it with basic elements (N-P-K), after adding mineral and organic materials. The obtained results of this experiments could be summarized as follows:
– Increasing of preceding sodium concentration of natural zeolite, according to increasing of level of adding of ammonium sulfate, or potassium sulfate, or both together, the different were significant within the treatments of every time, among all treatments and blank on the side, and within the treatments on the other side, the biggest rate of preceding sodium had gotten of the natural zeolite with using in the treatment N”10K”10 (2.8g ammonium sulfate +3.7g potassium sulfate /250 ml distilled water to 50g zeolite) where the rate of picking up has given 92.5%.
– The decreasing of value pH of treatments of natural zeolite with increasing of preceding material concentration, to all times, and the best value (pH) of treatments of natural zeolite, had found in the treatments which was used in it up level of potassium sulfate and all times.
– The electric conductivity decreases with decreasing of preceding material concentration, to all times.
– Treatment of zeolite with temperature, pressure, and humidity using mineral materials which include (N-P-K) led to:
Nitrogen: the treatment (5% of ammonium sulfate was added to zeolite, and treatment with temperature 100 C° and pressure 3 bar, and without humidity) superior significantly to all treatments for mineral nitrogen.
Potassium: the treatment (5% of potassium sulfate was added to zeolite, and treatment with temperature 50 C° and pressure 3 bar, and without humidity) superior significantly to all treatments available potassium.
Phosphor: adding P-rock increased total phosphor, while adding P-rock and treatment of zeolite with temperature, pressure, and humidity, doesn’t change increasing available phosphor.
Treatment with humidity negatively affected mineral nitrogen and available potassium, but it had no effect available phosphor.
– The rising temperature gradually for treatment of natural zeolite led to: decreasing of its cation exchange capacity, the biggest effect of temperature was in rang bigger than 400 C°, where it decreased about three times when the degree became 800 C°.
– The treatment with temperature, pressure, and humidity, effected in changing value of cation exchange capacity of treatment zeolite with some mineral and organic materials, so that: the using of belon and humic acid in temperature bigger than (100C°), and pressure (3 bar) led to increasing significantly in value cation exchange capacity compared with treatment of blank, but adding of active carbon doesn’t effect on increasing cation exchange capacity of treatment of zeolite.